This month, as well as the usual bundle of bug fixes and minor improvements, we’ve made it possible to onboard to Private Portal with just a single touch, when adding a new customer with the Add Domain or Microsoft 365 Sync wizards.
One Touch Private Portal Onboarding
The “Add domain” wizard now has a simple checkbox to configure default Private Portal policies:
Simply enable that setting when adding a domain, and Mail Assure will create four default policies for the domain (matching “confidential”, “private”, or “🔒” anywhere in the subject, or finding any potentially sensitive data). As soon as you start sending outgoing mail through Mail Assure, those policies will be checked for all messages.
We have also adjusted the wording of the settings (and renamed the step from “Options” to “Settings”) so that they are clearer, and each of the settings has a link to the relevant documentation page.
The “Microsoft 365 sync” wizard has also gained a similar setting (and also wording improvements and documentation links):
Enable the option in the wizard, and the sync will take care of creating the same set of four default policies for you. The wizard adds the policies for the customer (admin) linked to the Microsoft 365 tenant. The wizard will create the default policies if none exist, and will reset the enabled/disabled state of all policies for the customer (admin) to match the checkbox in the Settings step of the wizard. If you wish to add or change any of the policies, you can do that via the Private Portal policies page, and the sync will not revert any of the changes (other than enabled/disabled). You may also remove any of the default policies, but if you remove all of them, you must also disable Private Portal in the wizard.
Since the last major release, we’ve also fixed the following issues:
- MMA-7255. Fixed several minor issues with the Add Domain wizard.
- #4214. Fixed an issue when using attachment hash custom filtering rules when messages have no attachments.
- Fixed an issue with the “api_set_sender_whitelist” software API call that would cause it to fail with some senders.
- Fixed various issues with the protection and archive counts on the dashboard, particularly around stale data.
- MMA-7373. Fixed an issue with viewing messages in Private Portal where a particular type of inline image was used.
- MMA-7247. Fixed an issue with Private Portal messages close to the size limit.
- MMA-7314. Fixed an issue where transferring domains internally would sometimes fail.
- MMA-7369. Fixed Protection Reports in Dutch, which broke with the last language update.
- MMA-7391. Fixed an issue using LDAP with Active Directory introduced with the last update.
- Fixed an error enabling the sub-addressing (plus-addressing) feature, which meant it was not available for several days after it was announced. Many thanks to Chris of Ergos for alerting us to this!
We’ve also made the following improvements:
- #4215. Decreased the time required for archived messages to be available in the app.
- Renamed the “Spam Quarantine” navigation item to “Quarantine”, to reflect that the quarantine holds all types of unwanted mail.
- The “send email” page can now instruct the app to send the mail via Private Portal.
- Technicians are now able to enable/disable the advanced custom filtering rules view separately for their own account.
- MMA-7239. Improved the wording for various allow list and block list actions. Many thanks to Ivan of Etelligence for the suggestion!
- MMA-7377. Improved the Private Policy table when “sensitive data is any” policies are used.
- MMA-7137. Extended the available template variables for Private Portal notification messages.
- MMA-4884. Increased the size limit for training messages via the app.
- MMA-7150. Decreased the time required for the weekly maintenance window.